If you’re wondering what the best cars for city driving are, then you should know you’re not alone. Most city people struggle with crowded streets, traffic jams, and the lack of parking space daily. And they usually want to have the most suitable car for such conditions. But what makes a vehicle ideal for urban driving?
To be honest, it might be hard to choose a machine that suits all your needs while at the same time providing massive power in a small and efficient package. Fortunately, with a little research, you can find plenty of vehicles with tight turning circles that make them highly maneuverable and a small size that makes them easily parkable.
We’ve put together a list of some of the most appropriate cars for urban areas that can be useful to you, whether you’re a business person, family-oriented, or someone who enjoys fast rides.
Luxury Audi A3 Is One of the Best Cars for City Driving
If you’re looking for a comfortable and sporty vehicle at a reasonable price, then Audi A3 might be your best bet. Some of its most significant advantages when it comes to urban wheeling are:
- It is one of the most reasonably-priced models compared to its many features
- Swift acceleration
- Strong and secure brakes
- Excellent handling and precision steering
- Comfort stands out as one of the essential functions (spacious and well-cushioned front seats further intensify this perception)
- Good visibility from the front and rear
- Interior is made of high-quality materials
Although perfect for urban areas, it is not a common choice when buying a family car. It has tiny rear seats, and as a small sedan, it’s not designed for taller adults.
Hyundai Grand i10 – a Nice-Looking Hatchback
As one of the best-looking hatchbacks, this vehicle comes loaded with a long list of accessories. What makes Hyundai i10 so popular, besides equipment? First things first, it’s easy to drive both in a metropolis and on an open road. It comes with both petrol and diesel engines and boasts top-notch build quality both in terms of interior and exterior. If you choose this car, you can expect a lot of convenient features, such as:
- Push-button engine start/stop
- Touchscreen infotainment system
- Keyless go
- Steering mounted controls
- Rear AC vents
A Popular Car That Doesn’t Require a Lot of Money
Hyundai is well-known as a budget car with low maintenance costs. Unlike luxury motorcars and sedans, this vehicle won’t trouble you with its high price of spare parts and maintenance requirements.
Nissan Versa Note
Categorized as one of the most affordable vehicles sold in the US, Nissan Versa is not the finest one you’ve ever seen, but it takes pride in some advantages that can’t be denied:
- Its hatchback shape offers good versatility
- It is tall and has wide doors, which make it easy to park and jump in and out of
- The rear seat is roomy
- You can enjoy a comfortable ride on most surfaces
Kia Picanto Is All That Families in the City Need
This is, perhaps, one of the most beloved light cars, especially among young inexperienced drivers. With five-seats, it resembles Hyundai i10, both with sporty styling and plenty of space inside. That’s why many new parents planning children choose to buy it, due to comfort and safety. The new Picanto takes a lot of pride in its body shell comprised of 44% high-strength steel, resulting in a 32% increase in torsional stiffness compared to the previous model.
There’s Plenty of Room for Kids in the Back
This little urban motorcar may look small at first glance, but the smart design has made it really roomy in its interior. Furthermore, it is very economical, although there’s no diesel engine, and it can provide you with a decent-sized 255-liter boot to place all your necessary luggage and things in case of long-distance move or relocation. In case you prefer to transport your car via auto shipping services instead of driving yourself, you can rest assured that transportation with a professional carrier won’t be pricey due to Kia Picanto’s size and weight.
Kia Soul Is Great for Sharing Fun Moments
The 2018 Kia Soul offers outstanding safety features and cool tech, as well as plenty of economic power with 130 horsepower engine. That means you’ll enjoy every mile of the ride. Furthermore, with this small but reliable car, you can expect some of the following benefits:
- Abundant interior space
- Upright seats
- Easy access
- Airy cabin with big windows
Great Electronics, Appliances, and Safety Systems
With Kia Soul, you won’t get just an appealing new exterior and room for five, but some exceptional facilities that can make city drives more comfortable. So, how can your journey behind the wheel be comfortable, secure, and relaxed with this tiny car? It’s possible due to several features, such as:
- Automated braking and cruise control
- An upgraded infotainment system
- Hands-free communication
- Theater quality sound
- Power door locks and windows
- Heated seats all around
- Blindspot detection
Nice and Fast – Mini Cooper
Like all other models belonging to BMW’s vehicle lines, the MINI has a recognizable feel, philosophy, and look. If you would like to buy a car ideal for the city, consider MINI’s following traits:
- Economy and efficiency (smart engineering and compact size)
- Power, performance, and control are on an excellent level
- MINI’s flexibility can provide you with a personalized drive (If you need this option, take into consideration MINI Convertible)
Mini Cooper Convertible – One of the Best Sports Cars for City Driving
There are plenty of reasons why sports aficionados will simply adore the MINI Convertible. Although it can’t compete with Ferrari or Lamborghini on the track, you’ll enjoy wheeling it. There are several good reasons for that:
- It offers you three turbocharged engines to pick from
- It is quite economical for a sporty car
- With available sports-tuned suspension and performance tires, you won’t grow tired from this car no matter where and when you drive it
- It has a convertible roof
- Adaptive cruise control, parking sensors, and automatic high-beam control are at your disposal
Choose Honda HR-V and Don’t Skip Anything Important
As a subcompact SUV that competes with Mazda CX-3, Jeep Renegade, and Chevrolet Trax, Honda HR-V has a couple of features that make it stand out from the crowd. It comes with a large cargo area, roomy and versatile cabin, as well as interior quality and front- or all-wheel drive.
However, there are some drawbacks to consider if you are looking for the best cars for city driving. Modest acceleration and uplevel trims dependence on touch-sensitive controls could be the main shortcomings of this great Honda model.
Is City Driving Bad for Your Car?
Are you wondering if city miles are more challenging than all-highway miles for those vehicles you’ve probably seen in dealers’ advertising campaigns? Is constant stopping and starting bad for your new car, and does it use up more fuel? Besides, in urban areas, there are plenty of potholes and rough roads, which can cause additional damage.
Driving in urban areas is challenging because of constant speeding and slowing, jarring ride, and potential issues due to more cars on the roads. Not to mention parking spaces and theft, which can also be potential problems.
So what can you do about that? Here are several suggestions for people who often drive in urban areas and want to save both their money and vehicle for as long as possible:
- Raise awareness levels during driving and avoid potholes on the road
- If you notice any changes in the sound your vehicle makes, schedule a checkup
- Inspect your brakes more frequently
- Avoid heavy traffic whenever you can to prevent damage to your engine cooling system